Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I must say that I feel kind of funny writing in mid Janurary about something that happened in early November. However from now on I am going to start making entries sooner after they happen, then again I think that after everytime I make an entry. But this time I wrote this thought down so maybe that will compel me to stick to my word.

In November I went on an English binge. It was exhilarating to understand every word that people were saying and then to respond in what I considered to be an intelligent manner (statement possibly debatable). It reminded me of when I used to be a real person.


What was the reason for indulging in my former ways? Well, apparently by participating in the Stuttgart study abroad program I had also agreed to participate in something called the Neukloster Academy. This is something that 7 KU architecture students are selected to participate in every year along with about 30 other students from Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark, and of course Kentucky. It happens in a small German town called Neukloster which is near the Baltic sea. So here’s the top 3:

3. One of the best parts of the conference was the challenge of the task. Not only did we have people from about 5 different countries, we also had people from many different fields of study: architects, interior planners, historical preservationists, civil engineers, art students, and urban space designers (whatever that means). We were mixed into groups of about 5 and given the broad task of making the harbor city of Wismar better. It was quite a challenge to figure out the group dynamic with so many different majors, backgrounds, and no appointed leader. And it was actually quite stressful and confrontational at times but we actually came out with a decent project at the end of the week and it was really awesome to have that experience of dealing with the challenges of teamwork and problem solving.

2. I have not really been to any architecture conferences in America, but I must say that the set up of this one was pretty awesome. I took place at a small lodge-chateau type place on a quiet lake. We worked in a refinished barn with lots of exposed structural wood. Furthermore the only time structure of the conference was really that you have dinner at 6pm and a lecture at 7pm and as for the rest of the time, just do what you have to do to get the task done. And to top it all off, there was always wine. Most of the work took place after the lectures from about 9pm on, so a glass wine became an essential part of the architectural toolbox.


1. Due to the fact that much of the work took place in the afternoon and after 9pm we wouldn’t usually have a chance to hang out and stop working in the evening till about midnight. Nevertheless, most of the time a couple of us ended up on the dock talking until about 3 or 4 am. And due to the facts that I was deprived of english and my roommate was a good conversationalist, we were usually still talking until 5 or 6 in the morning. Out on the dock the full-moonlight was enough to light up everyone’s faces since as we were many miles from any city lights. We even made it out on the lake one night on a rowboat that almost capsized. So overall that conference was an unexpected awesome experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter