Wednesday, March 21, 2007

On to Sicily. Noone was there.

I meant to meet up with friends but as things unfolded, the time to meet up with them would only be a day, so I decided to do my own thing. This part of the trip will be refered to as the contemplative period. During the contemplative period, no tourist are in sicily. I had a 12 bedroom dorm all to my self. During the contemplative period no Sicilians speak english. Actually, scratch that, Sicilians never speak english, I have become to familiar with German society. During the contemplative period, only half the stores and restaurants are open and when open they are open half the time. During the contemplative period, one should contemplate. So I did.

I contemplated at dinner, I contemplated on the beach, I contemplated in the streets. I contemplated ontop of mountains with beads of rain pouring from the once innocent looking clouds.

I did get a break from my contemplations though. I met a jobless traveler early on my last day in Sicily. His name was Mauricio. And although neither of us could speak the others language, we could communicate enough to spend the whole day together on the beach. It was nice because I could ask him questions about Sicily using our common vocab (Sicilia, America, Italy, to have, to be, etc...) and hand signals and was able to get an interesting perspective about this island I had spent 4 days on. Ask me about it. I dont want to type any more.

1 Comments:

Blogger cassidy parker said...

hmmm this post seems familiar...maybe because you contemplate like dr seuss writes!! haa i like the updates! drew and me, plus a couple others will be in germany in july!! hope we can find a way to meet up with you

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter